Anaphylactic Shock

Home   >   Allergies   >   Anaphylactic Shock

Anaphylactic shock also known as anaphylaxis is a severe full body allergic reaction that occurs as a result of an exposure to an allergen intravenously or by ingestion

Causes of Anaphylactic Shock

Common causes include venom from insect bites or stings, medication, and food. Usually reactions to food are greatest in children.

Symptoms of Anaphylactic Shock

  • Difficulty breathing and swallowing
  • Sweating
  • Pale and cold skin
  • Rapid pulse
  • Wheezing when breathing
  • Body rash and redness
  • Confusion
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Weakness and low blood pressure
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Treatment of Anaphylactic Shock

    If you suspect someone is going into anaphylactic shock, call an ambulance or take the person to the emergency room immediately. Identify the site of a sting or bite and see if there is a stinger present. Remove the stinger and try to halt the spread of venom by tying a piece of string or cloth above the site if the bite is on a limb. If the person has a device for the injection of epinephrine, you may help him or her use it.

    Anaphylactic shock is treated with adrenaline (epinephrine) injections and an oxygen mask. This combination should raise the blood pressure, open up air passages, and provide the oxygen the brain needs, averting the most dangerous part of this condition. More information on the treatment of anaphylactic shock

    Why is Anaphylactic Shock so Severe?

    A person's immune system may get sensitized to an allergen after initial exposure. On the subsequent exposure the immune system reacts in full force to attack the allergen. This overreaction causes the symptoms.

    Related Links:

    Newsletter Sign Up