Home   >   Allergies   >   Hypersensitivity

What is Hypersensitivity?

Hypersensitivity, also known as a hypersensitivity reaction is an overly great reaction to a particular substance. Hypersensitivity to an allergen can send a person into anaphylactic shock.

Why does Hypersensitivity Happen?

If a person is already allergic to something, continued contact with that substance in small doses will train your immune system to produce antibodies and cells that specifically target this substance.

This results in a huge arsenal within your own body that remains for some time. Such a reaction is similar to how we get immunized, but is directed instead at a harmless allergen. You are now hypersensitive to that allergen.

Hypersensitivity Reaction and Symptoms

Upon contact with the substance you are hypersensitive to, a severe reaction occurs. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing and swallowing; body rash and redness; as well as vomiting and abdominal pain. Seek medical attention if you believe you are suffering from a hypersensitive allergic reaction.

Newsletter Sign Up